Saturday, October 1 2022


A chilling voicemail message captures the terrifying escape of a survivor of the deadly Florida oceanfront building collapse last week, according to a recording obtained by The Post.

“Oh my God!” a shocked Raysa Rodriguez is heard screaming during the recording. “The whole building is gone!

Rodriguez, 59, was sleeping in her ninth-floor condo at Champlain Towers South in Surfside early Thursday morning when she was awakened by the thunderous collapse – and stepped out in hellish devastation.

“Anyone over there?” Hello? ”Rodriguez said in a voicemail that she left her brother.

A child is heard screaming in the background.

“Yadi! Did you get it? ”Rodriguez asks.

“Rayssa? We hear a neighbor shout back. “Let’s go.”

Raysa Rodriguez pictured with friends and neighbors at Champlain Towers South Dick Augustine and Elaine Sabino.
Raysa Rodriguez pictured with friends and neighbors at Champlain Towers South Dick Augustine and Elaine Sabino.
Moskowitz law firm
A dog working with search and rescue personnel stands with them atop the rubble of the Champlain Towers South condo building.
Raysa Rodriguez has also filed a class action lawsuit against the Champlain Towers condominium association.
Gerald Herbert / AP

“Let’s try the stairs but wait, I heard voices,” Rodriguez is heard saying in Spanish. “I have to check out these guys, this woman.”

She is heard knocking on the door of an 80-year-old neighbor whom she takes with her, with the other neighbor and her 10-year-old son.

Rodriguez then proceeds to the stairwell of the building – where she sees the extent of the devastation of the 12-story tower.

“Oh my God!” she heard screaming. “What the hell! Oh my God! Yadi, the whole building is gone. Yadi! Yadi!”

The South Florida Urban Search and Rescue Team searches for survivors in the rubble of the partially collapsed Champlain Towers South condominium in Surfside, Fla. On Monday, June 28, 2021.
So far, 18 people have been confirmed to have died in the Surfside collapse.
Matias J. Ocner / Miami Herald via AP

Rodriguez, who this week filed a class action lawsuit against the building’s condominium association, led the group of survivors to a second-story balcony and was able to climb to safety a ladder hoisted by firefighters.

His lawsuit was the third filed on the building collapse.

Her lawyer, Adam Moskowitz, reportedly said Rodriguez left a voicemail message for his brother and thought she hung up, but didn’t – and the phone continued to record.

“She was going from apartment to apartment because she was nervous that a lot of her neighbors were older and a lot of them couldn’t move and some of them had young children,” Moskowitz told CNN . “She was so nervous that she spent 10 or 15 minutes going from apartment to apartment.”

Moskowits said Rodriguez had previously attempted to sound the alarm, including a 48-second video she shot of leaking pipes in the garage in 2018.

“This is an extremely disturbing video that our client recorded in 2018,” Moskowitz said in a statement to the Post on Wednesday.

“It was his effort to really get someone to listen to him and the other residents as they found clear examples that the garage was falling apart,” he said. “No one would watch this video and think it was a serious problem.”

Authorities said Wednesday that 18 people had died in the collapse along with two children pulled from the rubble, while 145 others are still missing.


Previous

Ratings undermine Housing Commission defense of hotel purchases

Next

Rental demand in San Francisco grew 80% in last quarter, data shows

Check Also