A 24-unit condominium complex in Fairfax County was evacuated Monday morning when a fire broke out.
The fire apparently started on a balcony on one of the upper floors on the left side of the building. When the flames spread through the attic, they burned towards Adam Phan’s unit.
Phan first smelled smoke, then heard a knock on his door.
“It was our neighbor telling everyone to get out, the fire is coming,” he said. “My roommate and I literally took our keys, phone, and everything we were carrying and walked out, and the leftmost part quickly went up in smoke and started spilling out in the middle of the building.”
For Leisa Serrano and her mom, mid-morning was interrupted by an unexpected and frightening noise.
“The fire alarm started ringing like crazy,” she said. “Then after that, we smelled the fire a bit and we got out right away.”
Firefighters arrived shortly before 11 a.m. as residents fled the building.
“Flames erupted when we got into the attic, going through the whole attic, the whole building,” Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Deputy Chief Brad Cochrane said.
“I’m a bit worried about my stuff because I’m working from home, so a lot of my gear and stuff is there,” Phan said.
No residents were injured, but a firefighter was taken to hospital with a minor injury.